English Instructor Needed in Changhua, Taiwan
Date 2016-04-29 21:04:11 Location : Asia:Taiwan
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1999, Leader Language Schools are English language institutes in Taiwan. We teach the four skills of listening, reading, speaking, and writing to youths up to eighteen years old as well as adult testing & conversation classes. We have had considerable success in preparing students for the General English Proficiency Test (GEPT), which is recognized by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan.
WHERE WE ARE: LEADER has three branches in the West-central plains of Taiwan. Two of our branches are in Changhua, a mid-sized city which is bordered by Ba Gua Mountain, where residents can enjoy hiking, biking, running, tennis, golf, swimming, bird- watching, etc. One of the largest free-standing statues of Buddha in Southeast Asia is on Ba Gua Mountain.
Changhua is also only a 20-minute train ride north to Taiwan's 3rd largest city called Taichung, which has a population of over one million people and is full of wonderful restaurants, department stores, and parks. Also 20 minutes away, another LEADER branch is in Yuanlin, the largest "town" (by definition) in Taiwan, just south of Changhua.
Our branches have the advantage of being centrally located on the western plains of the island. With the High Speed Rail, the northern and southern cities of Taiwan are now easily accessible within one hour and the beautiful beaches of Kenting are only three hours away.
WHO WE SEEK: We employ native English speakers with four-year degrees in ANY field to teach English. Experience in teaching, coaching, or mentoring is preferred.
WHAT TEACHERS DO: Teachers have a mix of group classes and tutorials from different ages and levels. Teachers do not teach the same age group, day-in day- out. Each class has at least one native speaker teacher and one Taiwanese teacher of English. These two teachers are not in the class at the same time, but coordinate classes together. Foreign teachers must write comments on report cards and grade essays, but most of the homework is graded by the Taiwanese teachers & staff.
WHAT LEADER OFFERS:
*Five-day-a-week schedule: The starting base hourly pay is $NT610 (about $US 20 teaching hr.) & a guaranteed MINIMUM of 20 teaching hrs./wk. On this schedule with an average of 25 teaching hours per week, a teacher would make NT$61,000 (roughly US$2033 per month). There are many of opportunities for extra hours/pay and yearly increases.
HOURS: Hours at LEADER are similar to a middle-shift. Teachers enjoy having their mornings free for their personal activities, studying Chinese and exploring Taiwan. Teachers come in one hour before their first class of the day to prepare for lessons and conclude after their last class. Mon. through Fri.; Tues. -Sat.; Or a six-day option.
* Advances on pay to assist in start-up costs.
* NT $610/ class hr.
* Yearly increases
* End-of-year bonus
* Our teachers have also participated in ESL research studies/ curriculum design/voice recordings, summer camps, etc. (for extra pay).
-FREE airport pick-up & orientation
-We pay the major portion (based on the official government-provided salary chart) of your national health insurance.
-PAID five-day practice teaching during training period, $550/class hour, when time is spent in front of any class.
-Pre-planned lessons, but a flexible curriculum.
-Assistance in processing and sponsorship of work visa & Alien Residence Card (ARC).
-Reduced Rent- housing in the LEADER Teachers' House (Only US$200-250/mo.). If residing in the "Teachers' House," the remainder of first month's rent is FREE!
All utilities except electric are FREE!
-Assistance in setting up a bank account.
-Guidance in filing and reclaiming government taxes. Income taxes are 18% for the first 183 days in Taiwan, but then recalculated at 5%-6% based on annual earnings AND you are eligible for a REBATE of the difference.
A SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE:
* At least a Bachelor's degree holder from an accredited college/university in ANY field. We prefer degrees related to TESOL/TEFL, English, Linguistics, Theater, and/or Education, but ANY degree holder will be considered.
* One who has experience working with children (teaching, mentoring, tutoring, coaching experience).
* We desire energetic teachers for lively classes. (FYI: Our current staff and faculty are generally non-smokers).
* Flexible in accepting periodic schedule changes.
* One who will commit to one year in Taiwan.
* Has a genuine interest in learning Mandarin Chinese and/or Taiwanese: It gives a teacher a sense of how difficult it is to learn a language, as well as an appreciation of the culture, (not to mention facilitate living in Taiwan).
* Sociable and friendly to students, staff, parents, and fellow teachers.
* Single (We currently only have ONE position open at a time).
Want more info? Check out our website or our Facebook page "Leader Language Schools." We also have testimonials of past teachers on our Youtube channel (leaderschools), and pictures of our schools & teacher housing available upon request.