ESL EFL TESOL Job Listing Application
VOLUNTEER (TEACH) ABROAD IN HONDURAS JUNE 2020 – JULY 2020
BECA exists to provide quality, affordable bilingual education to the educationally disenfranchised while fostering meaningful cultural exchange. Our volunteer-driven bilingual school model creates an environment in which Central American students learn from dedicated volunteer teachers, and those volunteers learn from the community in which they are immersed.
BECA aims to provide its volunteers with a challenging, transformative experience that gives an in-depth understanding of grassroots international development, underserved Central American communities, bilingual teaching strategies, and community capacity building techniques. As a result, BECA teachers develop the skills and responsibilities to be effective teachers, communicators, and leaders. Afterwards, BECA teachers go on to become Fulbright scholars, microfinance specialists, diplomats, educators, World Bank employees, non-profit executives, and law and public policy students.
The Volunteer Teacher is a team member who plays an integral role in the education of our students. The highlight of this job is the genuine nature of the experience: leading a classroom of 25 students, supporting fellow teachers in the classroom, getting to know your students and their families, and immersing oneself Honduran culture. Please note that applicants need not be certified teachers or fluent Spanish speakers.
- Foster a safe and productive classroom environment for students
- Facilitate relationships with students, their parents, and community members through home visits
- Plan lessons and teach in English all subject areas with the
- Collaborate with the Honduran and International teaching team on school projects, events, planning, and curriculum development
- Periodically serve as a Lunch/Recess monitor
- Contribute to the collaborative and respectful group living experience
- Serve as an ambassador for BECA by helping to spread the word about our work
- Administrative duties
Skills & Qualifications:
- A commitment to BECA’s mission and a dedication to social justice
- English fluency
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Willingness to operate in a low-resource environment under challenging living conditions
WHY CHOOSE BECA?
- 6-WEEK SUMMER TRAINING: As a BECA volunteer, you will begin your volunteer year with an intense, interactive, and comprehensive training that will prepare you for the duties and challenges you will face once the school year starts.
- HOLIDAYS: Teachers have a holiday break from approximately Dec. 20 until Jan. 6.
- LIVING EXPENSES COVERED: BECA will provide shared living accommodations; a daily food stipend, high-speed internet, assistance with obtaining temporary residency status, airport pick ups and drop offs, a stipend for food & incidentals, and assistance with the Temporary Residency process.
- LIFELONG CONNECTIONS: Each school takes on a unique identity representative of its adjoining community, and partners work closely with BECA teachers and staff to provide cultural training that promotes united community engagement and cultural exchange.
- CLASSROOM SUCCESS: BECA’s tailored custom curriculum ensure that volunteers are well prepared and equipped to provide the BECA students with a high quality, culturally relevant education.
- FUTURE SUCCESS: Upon completion of service, we offer career development assistance and access to BECA’s extensive, and growing, network of 200+ alumni.
To learn more about our program, visit youtube.com/channel/UCZvlnxWgwmhS-wvQ6s6e3XQ