Camp Counselor in France at American Village Camps
By: Amanda Barrot < Show E-mail >
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017
Location: Europe (France)
Work in France next spring or summer !
Now hiring : English Language Counselors starting in March 2018
Salary : 1170 euros per month. Meals and housing are also included
Location : One of our language villages in France. Exact location announced after hire.
American Village Camps seek energetic, creative, initiative-takers who are native English speakers & love working with children. Our camps run from February to October, annually. We’ve been running English immersion camps in France since 1994!
Our English Language Counselors live at our immersion camps, scattered in the countryside across France! They lead activities & English classes for French children between the ages of 8 & 17 years old. Counselors are responsible for the safety and well-being of the campers under their care.
Apply to this unique work experience in rural France, working on a multi-cultural team and meeting people from all over France as well as Anglophone countries across the globe - all while having fun with the campers under your care.
Counselor Start dates :
Our camps are open for 9 months straight. Counselor contracts vary between 4 and 8 weeks long. See the 2018 start dates on our recruitment website. We have 2018 counselor start dates in March, May, June, July, September and October!
(Are you British? We also staff for British-themed English immersion camps! )
- A salary for all days worked : 1170 Euros / month .
- Shared dorm-style housing with other counselors, bedding included.
- Meals included.
- Free laundry services are available at least once a week.
- No fees associated with the obtainment of your temporary work permit (North Americans).
- Absolutely no application fee to apply to this job.
- All counselors may request a 50€ defrayal of train travel to their village.
- Accident insurance while working for work-related injuries.
- Nacel will pay any work-related transportation costs if the counselor changes camp locations during his/her contract.
France is the number one tourist destination in the world. While our counselors live and work on-location (at camp), they generally use their time before or after their employment to discover France - its traditions, cuisine, landscapes, language and people. Our teams can be quite multi-cultural and friendships are easily made in a camp setting. Working with children is a rewarding experience and also, a lot of fun!
We only seek Language Counselors who are native English speakers.
- Required experience : camp counseling, childcare, &/or teaching experience
- Clear criminal history
- 20 years old is the minimum age requirement for foreign counselors. A typical applicant is between 20 and 35 years old.
- High school diploma from a high school in an Anglophone country & correct grammar and spelling on application.
- First-hand knowledge of North American culture
- Be a team player, be organized, and be able to disconnect from technology during working hours (no smartphones while with the kids).
- Be kind, caring and friendly : a people-person!
- Be capable of organizing activities : sports, arts & crafts, dance, large scale games, etc.
- Be excited about performing in skits, telling stories, leading songs & cheers, etc.
- Be creative and excited about brainstorming theme activities and skits.
- Be receptive to learning about our approach to teaching English, and implementing it in the classroom!
How to Apply
The application process and application tips are outlined on the American Village recruitment website. A professional reference is required. We advise you to read through the entire recruitment website and the document Applicant Tips before completing the online application.
Access the online application: http://www.job-americanvillage.com
Youtube link : https://youtu.be/v7nxSc1mB08
Working at American Village Camps is a good first ESL job.
It gives you experience
- Implementing lesson plans (2 hrs of ESL class, daily)
- Using ESL games
- Working with beginners
- Practicing TPR
- Perfecting your communication skills
- Meeting other ESL teachers
- Getting international work experience
All the while having fun with games and activities in English.
For more seasoned ESL teachers, it is a good fit if you are ready to get out of the classroom and onto the playing field! This is a language camp counselor job, there are no ESL office hours, if the kids have questions, they will ask you while playing with you in activities!
Spring Camps : near Gréoux-les-Bains, Cour-et-Buis, Azé, Joudes-Saint Amour, Isigny-le-Buat, & Miramont-de-Guyenne
Summer Camps : near Gréoux-les-Bains, Vesc, Cour-et-Buis, Azé, Joudes-Saint Amour, Balan, Isigny-le-Buat, & Miramont-de-Guyenne.
City Camps (only in July) : Toulouse, Menton.